I love brunch. I hate washing up. This one-pan baked egg dish is the perfect way to start the weekend: a delicious home-cooked breakfast and minimal clearing up after. Winning.
I don’t know about you but during the week if I do have time to grab breakfast it’s usually something from the work canteen (someone stop me eating hash browns, please, I need an intervention) which though practical doesn’t exactly excite me. Apart from omelette Friday which is always going to be a winner in my eyes. I digress. However when I have more time at the weekend, or if I’m working from home, I like to make an effort with my breakfast and by making it more substantial and calling it a brunch I feel like I’ve achieved something more chilled and relaxing. Just me?
If you do just one thing this weekend, make sure it’s cooking this dish.
Baked Eggs with Chorizo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 small red pepper
- handful cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 6 slices chorizo
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- chilli flakes optional
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a cast iron skillet or oven proof frying pan and heat up. Once hot add in your minced garlic, onions and peppers and fry for a few minutes until soft and golden.
- Remove from the heat and add in some of the halved tomatoes, saving some for serving, before making two 'wells' in the middle of the ingredients. Crack in the eggs and season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Tear over the chorizo.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked and set.
- Sere immediately with crusty bread and be careful, the pan will be scorching hot!
I used a pretty small pan so this is really only a meal for one (insert snout emoji) but if you have a slightly bigger pan then just use a full onion and full pepper instead. Amazon do a great set of cast iron skillets that would be perfect for this recipe.
It doesn’t look like much at this stage but just you wait until it’s done!
In go the eggs and it’s time for the oven. You can see the pan is SO hot the egg is already starting to cook from the residual heat.
It should look like this when it’s done. See, I told you it was a small pan – look at those eggs fighting for space!
I had some ciabatta to serve mine with which in hindsight wasn’t the best choice. I’d prefer a sourdough usually but grab whatever chunk of bread you can and just get stuck in!
I used chorizo for this recipe because I had some in the fridge but it works just as well with pancetta or bacon, just cook these off with the peppers and onions first rather than just adding nearer to the end.
Brew up a mug of tea or coffee, grab something to read and enjoy!
I’d love to see your pictures if you make this recipe, tag me over on Instagram or add #foodieforthoughtblog to your posts on Insta for me to check out.