Fluffy vanilla pancakes bursting with fresh seasonal blueberries, topped with vanilla cream, blueberry syrup and more blueberries.
You know from my fluffy pancake recipe that I love me some pancakes, stacked and topped with cream and fresh fruit but this time I thought I would add the fruit to the pancake batter and it’s a game changer.
I love having these pancakes as part of a lazy weekend brunch because they’re quite filling and the prep and cooking time means they need a little more effort than your average weekday breakfast but they’re well worth the time and effort.
- 200 g self-raising flour sifted
- pinch table salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300 ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- 15 ml vanilla essence
- 150 g fresh blueberries
- 200 g double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Combine the milk, egg and vanilla essence in a jug and mix together. Pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Use a hand whisk to whizz until combined.
- Tip the blueberries into the pancake batter and fold them in gradually. Leave to sit for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl add the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence and whisk on a high speed until the cream has thickened. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
- Spray a large frying pan with fry light spray and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Add approximately 1/4 cup batter to the pan once hot and cook for a few minutes. The sides of the pancake should rise up from the pan and the batter should bubble. When this happens, flip the pancakes over. They'll raise slightly. Cook for a further 2/3 minutes until golden.
- Repeat until you've used all of your batter.
- Stack your pancakes, top with the cream, blueberry syrup and any remaining fresh blueberries and tuck in.
Whenever I’m mixing an egg into milk I always use a fork to break the yolk before whisking.
Tip and then fold your blueberries into the batter. The batter is slightly heavier than my usual pancake batter, this is to ‘hold’ the blueberries.
Add the batter to a hot frying pan, trying to keep the pancakes as round as possible.
When they start to bubble like this…
It’s time to flip them over!
When they get to this stage they’re done!
The leaning tower of pancakes.
Stack them up in manageable portion sizes…
Add cream and syrup.
Take loads of pics for Instagram.
And then get stuck in! Look at those beautiful blueberries!