Colourful, crunchy and perfect on its own or as a side dish, this raw rainbow salad is super tasty!
I feel like a bit of a fraud writing a recipe on how to make a salad, it’s a bit like writing a recipe on how to make a sandwich (something I will no doubt do!) in the sense that everyone knows how to do it already but the flavours and lectures in this salad are so lovely I wanted to share them with you.
Makes: A main for one or a side for two
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Spiraliser or a julienne peeler
1 large courgette
3 large carrots
1 small red pepper
1 small orange pepper
1 small yellow pepper
Half red onion
1. Begin by spiralising your courgette and carrot with your spiraliser or julienne peeler. If you don’t have a spiraliser or a julienne peeler you can buy vegetables ready-spiralised in both Tesco and Sainsburys.
2. Chop each pepper up, keep half in thin batons and cube the remaining half.
3. Finely chop your red onion.
4. Layer your spiralised courgette and carrots in your serving bowl before scattering over your chopped vegetables.
5. Chuck your chunks of feta over the top, crumbling a few cubes over the whole salad.
6. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and you’re ready to tuck in.
This is one of my go-to lunches to take to work because it is so fresh and full of flavour as well as being filling.
I add a good handful of feta for extra flavour and protein but some grilled halloumi or some roast chicken would be delicious too.
The salad is so quick to put together and is the perfect colourful way of getting fussy children (or adults!) to eat their vegetables.
I personally think the spiralased vegetables would make the perfect noodle substitute in a very fresh stir fry – throw in some mange tout and some baby corn and you’ve got a beautiful healthy dinner.